Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One singer down..


Well Sunday seemed to be a glorious day. My Filipino grandma gave me a Singer sewing machine after I had called her to see if she still had any from her alteration shop she used to have on campus. It was rusty but I was hopeful. After lots of oil and a trip to a few stores for a bobbin case that I ended up not even needing, I thought I had it all figured out . There was one part that I could not get to moving , the fabric 'dog feed'. I need this in order to keep the fabric moving evenly while sewing. In my frustration I called my aunt to vent, and she told me that she had one sitting in her garage that I could have!!! I was so excited! She was really the last person I would have thought of to have one laying around. I was excited to have my grandma give me a sewing machine, because I thought it was special to have something passed down to me. My aunt giving me hers thought will serve the same purpose though. Plus, my grandma said as soon as I got it down, and was really making some good projects that she might purchase me a new one. SOOOO here goes nothing!


My aunts sewing machine is a little older then the one my grandma gave me but I'm starting to tinker and get the hand of it. I think the hardest part for me is the tension thing. hm... I need a sewing for dummies book I think. I'm going to take a class next month with a few friends..I think it'll be a lot of fun. We hope to open an Etsy store. If you've never been to Etsy.com it's pretty amazing. I'll plan on having lots of posts about the cute things I find on there! Well I'm going to start my first project now, a over the shoulder hipster bag. maybe with a design of some sort on the top.

No comments: